Sunday, April 25, 2004

Ok, so apparently some people think it's a good idea to bring back the draft. Now, this obviously makes me nervous for lame, selfish reasons, but it appears that I'm not gonna die gonna die gonna die for my government, and I guess I'm happy about that.

But I've got a more legitimate, less wussy objection to this argument.

Let's say the draft passes, which if it is introduced immediately I assume will take at least a week or so. Let's say I get drafted within seconds of this happening. Obviously, I can't go to Iraq immediately, because I have no military training. I also have no idea how long we train our people for, but I'm assuming, since we've got the best army in the world, that we do a reasonably good job. So, a minimum total amount of time between now and my actually going to Iraq of slightly over a month.

Now, consider that we're supposed to hand over power to the Iraqis by June 30. Now, I know that "sovereign nation" doesn't necessarily mean "not occupied by thousands of foreigners" but still, I assume this means we have fewer people in Iraq. So, I'll be of pretty limited genuine use in Iraq. I realize that we're sending people home, but still.

So, basically, any argument for a draft is an argument for continuing to spread ourselves even more thin, and ignoring actual terrorists. I know it's not very mainstream now, but since spreading ourselves too thin to do anything useful seems to be official policy, how long can it be before this idea gets a lot more support?